Make & Model - Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX
Materials - Nubuck leather and textile upper, Gore-Tex liner, EVA shaped footbed, 4D Advanced Chassis dual-density EVA midsole, High Traction Contagrip rubber outsole
Colors - Detroit/Black/Navajo, Iguana Green/Asphalt/Dark Titanium, Fossil/Rain Drum/Humus
Sizes - 7 to 14 including half-sizes. Women's sizes also available.
MSRP - $230
URL - http://www.salomon.com
Salomon started 70 years ago as a ski manufacturer and has since built a worldwide reputation for making high-quality footwear and outdoor equipment. Whether it's a snowboard binding, an alpine ski pole, or a trail-running daypack, if it bears an authentic Salomon logo, there's a good chance it'll perform even under the most extreme conditions. The Quest 4D 2 GTX is no exception. This butt-kicker combines the style of a high-top boot, the structure of backpacking footwear, and the technology of running shoes to provide a surprisingly lightweight but supportive package that lets you walk, hike, or even sprint in a wide range of unpaved terrain. To increase durability, there's a rubber toe cap, rubber heel cap, and a mud guard on each boot. Plus, while not a winter boot per se, the Quest 4D 2 GTX is waterproof and could be paired with some heavy-duty wool socks to work in milder snowy conditions. For a survivalist who might have to haul a 50-pound bug-out bag through God-knows-where, these Salomon boots could help ease the burden for the long haul … at least for your feet.
– Break-in period lasted all of 15 minutes. No joke.
– Crazy comfortable fit thanks to lace locker, heel strap, OrthoLite insole, and EVA shaped foot-bed
– Salomon's High Traction Contagrip outsole gives your feet some Spider-Man-like stickiness in slick conditions.
– Rounded laces last longer than flat ones and are easier to untie when wet, but we hate how easily they can loosen (or even come undone) on their own.
– Not offered in wide or narrow sizes