Make & Model - Gerber Gear US-Assist S30V
Overall Length - 7.2 inches
Blade Length - 3.0 inches
Weight - 4 ounces
MSRP - $119
URL - http://www.gerbergear.com
This version of Gerber's latest made-in-the-USA folder features a stonewashed S30V blade, swift assisted-opening mechanism, and button-activated plunge lock. A 420HC steel version is available for $20 less, with or without serrations, but we'd suggest splurging for the more durable blade seen here. The firearm-style cross-bolt safety may appeal to some users, but we didn't find it to be a necessity.
– Lively assisted-opening with smooth B.O.S.S. ball bearings
– Strong tapered blade profile made from durable steel
– Ramped thumb-studs provide solid leverage, even with wet, oily, or gloved fingers.
– The glass-filled nylon handle is overly smooth and feels out of place on a blade in this price range. Textured G-10 would've been a big improvement.
– Wire pocket clip is inelegant and seems like a cost-cutting measure.