Make & Model - Gerber Gear US-Assist S30V
Overall Length - 7.2 inches
Blade Length - 3.0 inches
Weight - 4 ounces
MSRP - $119
URL - http://www.gerbergear.com
This version of Gerber’s latest made-in-the-USA folder features a stonewashed S30V blade, swift assisted-opening mechanism, and button-activated plunge lock. A 420HC steel version is available for $20 less, with or without serrations, but we’d suggest splurging for the more durable blade seen here. The firearm-style cross-bolt safety may appeal to some users, but we didn’t find it to be a necessity.
– Lively assisted-opening with smooth B.O.S.S. ball bearings
– Strong tapered blade profile made from durable steel
– Ramped thumb-studs provide solid leverage, even with wet, oily, or gloved fingers.
– The glass-filled nylon handle is overly smooth and feels out of place on a blade in this price range. Textured G-10 would’ve been a big improvement.
– Wire pocket clip is inelegant and seems like a cost-cutting measure.
FREE issue of Offgrid Magazine is packed full of the latest in survival, mobility, preparedness, medical, weapons, gear, training and more! Get your FREE digital PDF instant download! Click Here to Download