If you're looking to bug out as far from human civilization as possible, heading out onto the water is a good way to do so. Our planet's surface is 71% water, meaning that virtually all human population is confined to the remaining 29% land mass. So, finding creative new ways to live on the surface of a large body of water definitely makes sense.

Solar powered floating buildings 1

The “Exbury Egg” is made entirely of molded plywood and timber.

Recently, several architects have developed concepts for buildings that not only float, but can also produce their own electricity through solar power. These structures can be towed behind boats, anchored at sea, or tethered to the shoreline of a lake or river.

The Exbury Egg's interior is spartan but comfortable.

The Exbury Egg's interior is spartan but comfortable.

The Exbury Egg seen above was lived in by British artist and co-designer Stephen Turner for a full year. It features a small solar charger for Turner's laptop and camera, as well as a hammock, cooking area, desk, and bathroom with shower.

Solar powered floating buildings 3

This floating island resort was designed by Michele Puzzolante.

Other designs include the 6-person floating resort concept seen above. It could accommodate up to 6 guests, and would also include an underwater observation room and on-deck Jacuzzi.


We Found Bulk Ammo In Stock:

Disclosure: These links are affiliate links. Caribou Media Group earns a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you!

The EcoFloLife Waternest below was designed by Giancarlo Zema, and offers a 1,000 square-foot interior with a solar panel roof.

Solar powered floating buildings 2

The EcoFloLife Waternest, designed by Giancarlo Zema.

For even more examples of self-contained and solar-powered floating buildings, check out this article from Inhabitat.

So, do you think floating buildings are a viable option for survival? Would you ever consider living in one of these futuristic structures? Let us know in the comments below.


Prepare Now:

Disclosure: These links are affiliate links. Caribou Media Group earns a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you!

STAY SAFE: Download a Free copy of the OFFGRID Outbreak Issue

In issue 12, Offgrid Magazine took a hard look at what you should be aware of in the event of a viral outbreak. We're now offering a free digital copy of the OffGrid Outbreak issue when you subscribe to the OffGrid email newsletter. Sign up and get your free digital copy Click to Download!


Write A Comment