Make & Model - Zippo Outdoor Utility Lighter (OUL)
Dimensions - 7.7 by 1.3 inches
Weight - 6.6 ounces (including fuel)
MSRP - $20
URL - http://www.zippo.com
Mentioning the name Zippo evokes thoughts of the classic flip-top fluid-filled lighters, but the company also offers a line of outdoor-oriented fire-starting tools. This OUL is a butane-powered lighter with a long body and rubber overmolded handle. In the hand, it feels like a ruggedized version of the candle lighters found in most homes. The “dual flame” design features two butane outlets: one recessed beneath a glowing ignition filament, and another offset pinhole at the tip. The gas from these outlets joins to form a single flame that can withstand strong gusts of wind. However, even with the butane reservoir filled and output knob dialed all the way up, the flame produced was the smallest of the lighters we evaluated. Also, the two child-resistant buttons require strong continuous pressure to keep the flame lit.
– Dual flame provides good wind resistance
– Arrived pre-filled with butane, includes fuel-level indicator
– Long tip provides extra reach and reduces the risk of burned fingers
– Even with output set to maximum, the flame is disproportionate to the lighter's size.
– Flame adjustment goes from small to smaller, and any dial setting lower than 50-percent extinguishes it altogether.
– Dual push-button system requires dexterity and continuous pressure